

I sit outside on the front porch listening to the almost deafening sound of crickets chirping, the occasional bleat from the random miniature goats ambling around the yard, and the hint of Ghanian music and singing that permeates through the thick jungle to meet my ears. On the wind I catch the smell of cooking fires, rain, and of course, my own sweat. As for sights, the temperamental street light illuminates our patch of jungle and the living space our hosts have carved out for themselves and us inside of it. No stars. While tonight seems like a relatively clear night, the ever present clouds high in the sky block out any extraterrestrial light that might otherwise be reaching us.
Ghana, particularly Abomosu, is a pretty great place to live. It is swelteringly hot all the time, but I think you kind of get used to it. You go to bed sweaty, wake up sweaty, eat sweaty, and sweat profusely any time you do any exercise. There are those brief, celestial moments in the shower each day when the only water you feel is pouring from the shower head and not your own pours, but it doesn't last too long; just right when you shower before going to bed and right when you shower after waking up. Within seconds of turning the shower off you can already feel the humidity creeping back as it were to cling to your body. For someone used to the subarctic but dry temperatures of Logan it is quite a change.
I digress. Here are some of the great things about Abomosu: First of all, our hosts are wonderful. We live with an older African couple named the Abus. Actually, we don't know them very well yet because they went to the capital city of Accra to attend a funeral the day we got here. But, they left us in the very capable hands of three young women and a guy a little older than me named George. They have been cooking for us and answering our questions. George is pretty awesome. He speaks English quite well and has a fun sense of humor. He is in construction but since we are entering the rainy season he doesn't have much work right now. So instead he gets to baby sit us. I am pretty sure he is related to the Abus in some way but I am not sure how.
Another great thing is the jungle. And when I say jungle, I really mean it is a jungle. It has huge trees, bamboo thickets, ferns, palm trees, vines, and all sorts of bugs. There are big lizards too that I am sure would have JJ going crazy if he were here. The only ones I've been able to find out a name for are the "red-headed lizards." They don't look anything like Lou and Moss though...
As far as our work goes, it has been more than a little confusing. There is a guy named Nkansah that the interns before us contracted as our loan collector that has been helping us out. He has been taking us around to meet people and we will go to the bank with him tomorrow. But, he often says, "Your wish is my command, uh hah, yeah." For four lost students seeking direction we kind of wouldn't mind being commanded rather than doing so much commanding. Oh well.
To help ourselves out, we have been reading Banker to the Poor by Muhammed Yunus. It is an amazing book that I highly recommend reading. We have been getting ideas from that on how to run our project. Hopefully we'll be teaching classes and loaning out money soon.
Anyway, I will end my random thoughts. It's great here and I'm excited to learn more and do more. Love Supe.
7 comments:
Yay Supe! I commanded you to write about it on your blog and you are! Thank you! Sound like a different life entirely! I mean, being able to hear crickets--WOW! I never can hear them--unless I have my hearing aids in and they're really close! No, just teasing. I didn't mean that to sound rude, but after I just read it, it kind of sounds rude. I just can't imagine living in a jungle. Pennsylvania was like a jungle to me and this sounds like so much more. Not sure I'd love the bugs, but how fun to discover such a different culture and way of thinking! I hope you'll soak it all in and learn and share all you can. What a great opportunity! Stay safe! I love you! Thanks for sharing!
Weed
So glad to hear from you. I promise you will love yourself if you update your blog while on this awesome journey:) I will even make it into a book for but it better be a big book with lots of pictures:) That sounds like an awesome place. Keep us updated!
So happy you somehow escaped from those sharks and made it there safely! Your bikes are alive and well and, strangely, both residing in our basement. Sounds like a crazy-fun-confusing edventure you are having! Can't wait for more updates and more pictures. Nice hat!
Glad you're lovin' it. Glad to hear about it. Can't wait to hear and see more. You are awesome! Learn some recipes for us, if they are worth it. We love you!
Pop says - It sounds like quite an adventures. The jungle sounds very interesting. How large is the community you are living in? Is everyone black, or are there any other white folks about? I'm a little surprised that you were not given a little more of a curriculum to follow for instructing people before receiving their loans. I guess that is part of the learning process to build your own teaching methods. It sounds as though you are in a great place and it should be a real learning and fun experience. Mom and I had a great week last week. If you want to know about that, check our blog. Keep up the good work. I'm proud of you. Love, Dad
Mom says - wow, I should have checked sooner. I just thought you would be so busy that it would take longer to have any chance to post. Bean is taking great care of your car including washing it and shampooing the carpets. He has stored all you stuff in one of his many storerooms. I think he has two or three of them now. He did get a parking ticket, so he is going to work out a better place to park. What do you do for church? Are you going to take some pictures of the jungle for us to see? And s the people? And the mud huts...etc., etc. Glad you made it safe and sound. We are praying on you in every prayer. Love you lots and look forward to the continuing saga. XO Mom :o)
Yo Dad - I think there are about 5,000 people that live in Abomosu but they are pretty spread throughout the jungle. And as far as I know we are the only white people in the town right now. Everybody calls us "obroni" which means white person. Little kids shout it out as we walk by and sometimes even come to the house where we live to stare through the windows at the weird obronis. We are quite the celebrities. We do have a bit of a curriculum that we teach our students. It has eight lessons that go over a variety of business principles but we are free to change it however we would like. And Mom, I am glad to hear Bean is taking good care, probably better care, of my dear Reggie. As for church hear they have a branch that is attended by about 80 people each week. They have a church building that is pretty nice. That is where we teach our classes and meet with a lot of our people in fact. And I will include some more pictures on my next blog post. Anyway, glad to hear from you all. Take care! - Supe -
Post a Comment