Sunday, June 12, 2011

Pictures of Abomosu (and Asonofo)

So, I figure it is about time I finally post some pictures of what life is like here and some of the people that I am working with. In my defense the power and the internet are very unreliable at best so posting has been a little bit difficult. Anyway, all excuses aside, in no particular order, here is some about life in Abomosu!

First of all, this is downtown Abomosu. Yes, that is a chicken running around. They are all over the place. And, yes, that is all the bigger any of the stores are here. No grocery stores, just these little garage type things. Lots of stores are just wooden shacks in fact. The beauty salons are my favorite of I think. Nothing like going to the shack on the side of the road to get your hair done, eh ladies?


Next, this is Aaron on one of the days that we walked to the nearby town of Asonofo. This little guy lives along our route and always comes out to walk with us some of the way. He doesn't speak any English and we don't speak any Twi so our communication is pretty limited but he doesn't seem to mind. He just likes holding the white guys' hands and walking along with us I guess.


This here is Nkansah. He is our translator and one of our best friends in the village. He went on a mission to Nigeria some years ago and now lives in Abomosu. For work he helps us, makes cement blocks for people to build with when there is any building going on and works on his farm. He says everything he does he tries to do "small small." Anyway, we went to work with him at his farm one day. He didn't really trust us to do anything so we mostly stood around and talked to him while he hacked away at stuff with his machete. It was fun though. This is him carrying kasava root in a sack so he can cook it for dinner later on that night.


This is a red headed lizard we saw walking around one day. If JJ were here I am sure he would have caught it in a second with a hang stick. They're probably about a foot long if you count their tail. Pretty cool looking.


This is George Obeng, aka, the Black Dwarf. Honestly, I think he comes up a little higher than my belly button. He is way cool. He lives in Asonofo, the outlying town we go to teach at twice a week. He is a cocoa farmer and would like a loan so he can buy fertilizer that will make it so he can get two crops a year instead of just one. He is really cool.


This is Sally and I. She is one of the nurses at the health clinic we volunteer at every Friday morning. Aaron and I sit around and fill out insurance forms with her for about 4 hours each time. Way fun. She is always giving me dating advice. Surprising how I get that wherever I go. She just doesn't understand the special bond Maggy and I have either...


Last, for this post, we have Benjamin Dehoe (make sure to take a closer look at his shirt!). He is a perfect example of the guys we are here trying to help. He is 29 years old and is the branch president in Asonofo. He has a wife and three kids. And, he has almost no economic opportunities. He works on his farm everyday but still has very little to spare. He is a great guy though and we are hoping to give him about a $400 loan to start a fish farm soon.


Anyway, these are just a few of the people we are here to help. Hope you guys enjoy the photos!

2 comments:

Lillypad Good Times said...

Thanks for the update Supe. You'll have to try again for Sally I guess. It is fun to see the whos and wheres of the place a little bit more. We look forward to talking to you.

Emily said...

Thank you for posting about Ghana. Joey and I will be following you to reminisce about our times there. We are glad that you guys are having a great time and learning a lot!